Mulching with a Befco finishing mower is done through an optional
bolt on kit (includes special baffles and multi leveled blades, see
image on the right) which cut and recut grass clippings into particles several
times before allowing them to fall back into the ground. The left over grass
residues decompose quickly into by-products which are useful for your lawn.
Reduce waste and save money!
Mulching therefore does not only virtually eliminate all the noticeable clippings
from your lawn but also serves as a method for fertilising the lawn.
Grass infact is made up by 88% water, 5% nitrogen, 2% potassium and
5% of other substances. Both nitrogen and potassium are the two main elements
found in the most common fertilizers sold.
6 tips for good mulching.
Please remember that for best results, a few simple rules need to be observed
1) Mow often, every 5 days under normal conditions, every 7 days under dry
2) Mow slowly, when you install your mulching kit on your Befco finishing
mower you should remember to reduce the speed to about half (approx. 4 to
5 mph) of the normal working speed (approx. 9 to 10 mph).
3) Mow at full throttle, a high throttle speed allows for a finer cut and
an increase in the number of recuts of the grass clippings.
4) Mow only when grass is dry.
5) Never mow more than 1" to 1.5" of grass length at a time. If the grass
is tall mow twice at different heights (high then low).
6) Mow only with sharp blades and a clean deck.
It is advisable to remove the mulching kit form your mower for the first
few mowings of spring. The wet grass conditions which usually occur during
this season are likely to cause clumping under the mower deck.